Hard disk drive is a storage medium to store data. There should be a moving particle in HDD hardware. Data should be store in blocks format. Moving or rotating part of hard drive help in process of data transmission.
1. Easy to Use
2. Less power consumption
3. Moving particle inside but less noise during working
4. Can check used & free space using a medium.
1. Storage capacity large
2. Cost effective
3. Store and retrieves data faster
4. Shock resistance
5. Data transfer rate high
1. Data access speed is slow
2. If HDD crash computer stop working
3. Fixed in hardware no portability
4. Audible noise when perform operation
HDD is a fixed hardware part on any machine to store or retrieve data. HDD has many sub part inside it which includes moving platters for data transmission. It will keep the data safe after shutdown the system or server. When suppose to perform any data operation platters start the performance to work on action which you perform.
Solid state drive is also a popular name in storage devices. It is also a part of hardware but in SSD there is no moving part like platters in HDD. Cause of without any moving or rotating part there is no noise during data transmission process or any operation. SSD work much faster than HDD without any noise which is best advantage. In SSD data is more reliable and consume much less power than HDD.
1. Much Durable
2. Consume less power
3. Produce less heat
1. Process much faster because no moving part need to run.
2. Booting time very fast.
3. Lifetime is longer compare to HDD.
4. Data crash chance very negligible.
5. Data Encryption security is high to keep data safe and secure.
6. Vendors are working to implement water proof SSD as well.
7. Read and write data rate much faster than HDD.
1. Magnetic parts in hardware configuration rather than platters.
2. Costly than HDD
3. SSD data is not available in blocks
4. Slow random write speeds
A solid-state drive uses a type of memory called “flash memory,” which is similar to RAM. However, unlike RAM, which clears whenever the computer powers down, SSD memory remains even when it loses power.
Also Read: Diligent Study on How SSD is Beneficial
Comparison Between SSD & HDD
|Power Consumption||Less power||More power|
|Capacity||1 TB Max.||6 TB Max.|
|Noise||No Noise (No moving parts)||Less Noise (moving parts)|
|Temperature||Very little heat produced||More than SSD|
|Data Transmission||100MB/s To 600MB/s||140MB/s|
|Failure Rate||Negligible||Happens but not much|