Nowadays, businesses must have a website & it is very easy & affordable to create your website on CMS platforms such as WordPress, Joomla etc. If you’re new to web hosting or running a web site, this article could answer some of your questions. This article is suitable for beginners & by the end of this article, you will familiar with web hosting basics.
What is Web hosting
- A website is a collection of web pages which contains text, content, images, videos etc.
- Website hosting or web hosting means a website or web pages available to public over the internet.
- Webpages require a computer to store them.
What is Web Server
- Web server is a computer on which web pages are stored.
- To store your web pages,you must buy some space.
- Servers are provided by web hosting companies.
What is Web Host
- Web host is a company which provides servers or space on a server to host webpages.
- Web hosts have their own servers or data centers.
- A data center could be a room, or a very large building equipped with redundant or backup power supplies, redundant data communications connections, air conditioning, fire suppression and security devices.
Types of Web Hosting
There are various types of web hosting services available to host your website. Before choosing any web hosting service, you must understand what kind of service or server your website needs. Different kind of hosting are mentioned below.
1. Shared Hosting
2. VPS Hosting
3. Dedicated Server
4. Cloud Hosting
- In shared hosting, multiple websites are placed on same server & share space on a single server.
- Websites share server resources such as processor, RAM, disk space & bandwidth.
- This is a cost effective service because server cost is shared among multiple users.
- Best for low traffic, personal, & small businesses websites.
- Site performance can be affected by other slow sites on the same server.
- It has limited ability to handle high traffic.
VPS or Virtual Private Server
- VPS divides a server into multiple virtual servers. Users have root access to their virtual server.
- VPS offers you a virtual server with dedicated IP address, RAM, disk space & bandwidth.
- It is also called virtual dedicated server because it provides features same as dedicated server at lower cost.
- It is very popular from small businesses to large size businesses.
- Some software do not work due to limited resources.
Also Read: VPS Hosting: Everything You Need to Know
Dedicated Server Hosting
- You have entire server & only your websites are stored on the server. You have total control over the web server.
- This hosting is best option for websites which require more resources such as bandwidth, disk space, high level security and processor.
- Faster performance, and processing speed is higher than other servers.
- Don’t worry about downtime because traffic of other websites can’t affect your website.
- Most secure & reliable but more expensive.
- Multiple servers are connected to each other.
- Cloud is based on “Service on Demand”. No need to make long time commitment.
- You can add more resources at any time when expect higher traffic. Easy to upgrade.
- Pay as you go service. No need to buy hardware equipments.
- Access data any time from anywhere with Internet connection.
Also Read: Cloud In Our Daily Life [SlideShare]
Linux Web Hosting
- Linux is most popular operating system on which server runs.
- It is an open source operating system.
- Supports scripting languages like Perl, python, PHP & MySQL database.
- Linux hosting is not compatible with Microsoft technology.
- Very popular because it is cost-effective.
Also Read: Top 4 Linux Based Operating Systems
Windows Web Hosting
- Window hosting is more user friendly than Linux hosting.
- Windows OS supports scripting languages such as ASP, ASP.NET & MSSQL database.
- Website which designed to be hosted on Linux server can be hosted on windows server.
- More expensive than Linux hosting.
Both windows & Linux offer equal security for your website. You must choose hosting service according to your web-site’s need.
Web Hosting Features Terminology
- Disk space refers to the amount of space allocated to you on the server to store files, pages, emails, video, content and more.
- The amount of data that can be transfered at a given moment to a server. The higher bandwidth, the larger amount of traffic your site can handle at one time.
- Web hosting packages provided by web hosting provider includes programming languages such as HTML, PHP, ASP, Python, Perl scripts with MySQL, MSSQL databases.
- The amount of time the server is uninterrupted and your website is running. Most of web host offer 99.9% uptime guarantee. E-commerce website must have great uptime.
- Most of hosting providers offer 24/7 support to customers via toll-free, phone, live chat or email.
Also Read: 35+ Common Web Hosting Terms and Definitions